Standish Standoff III

Hear the gospel of DorkaMorka announcements and sponsored events, along with other happenings in the area and community...

Re: Standish Standoff III

Postby RobPro » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Sounds like, for the most part, is was a pretty cool event. Hopefully I can make it out there next time around.
RobPro

Postby SRM » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:37 pm

stormboy wrote:Can't the painting competition be done during the day while people are playing?

I actually thought this was gonna be what the deal was - I took models from my case that I knew weren't going to be used in my games because I figured they'd be on those tables for a while. Doing so would cut a nice little half hour out of the day or what have you.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thor » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:09 pm

The problem though is that we don't get a ton of entries as it is. I think 10 entries in a category is about the norm. By having to enter stuff you aren't using we'll reduce the number further as not everyone has a large collection to just pull models to enter that they don't need for gaming.
Thor

Postby mace_ace » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:01 am

Thor,
If that's the case how about doing the painting judging during lunch and killingtwo bbirds with one stone?

BTW is Thor Bill?
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby TheRhino » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:59 am

Thor is Tony.

One other factor in the timing of the painting judging is/was liability. There have been concerns in the past regarding leaving models out for a day, relatively unsupervised. Breakage, theft, grubby Cheeto fingers are all a risk to the models left out where anyone can walk by them. There are solutions to that, but I think it's a liability the shop wanted to avoid.

As for the event, I had two solid games, and one "ok, not great" game. Fred is always good for a fun game. My second game was against the not-WYSIWYG Gaunt Pooper army, and my last game was against the cut-n-paste Eldar Serpent Spam list (Warlock Bikes, Farseer Bike, three minimum Avengers in Serpents, minimum Fire Dragons in Serpent, Wraithknight, Fire Prism, ADL+quadgun). I took that last loss on the chin as best I could, but it was like wiping your ass with sandpaper.
We had some HUGE holes in the comp system that I'd pointed out and railed against in the past, but conceded to the majority. Ally cherry picking occurred. As soon as I saw the pictures of the Tau player's army on Facebook, along with the Tigurius, Thunderfire, and 5-man BLOOD ANGEL tac squad, I knew what was up. That player has a history of that sort of thing.

That sort of shit makes me lose heart for future events. As Tony said, "There's always the 10%." But that 10% in a field of 40 is 4, which ruins the day of 12 other players, which is 30% of the field. It's a virus, and next year someone who was borderline will buy and field cheese dick lists because they got abused last year.

IMO, I think advertising our prize values and support in the packet would eliminate some of that bullshit. If you know that winning Best Overall gets you a beautiful trophy, but no cash or mother merchandise, you might be less inclined to field shit to win.

But, I am spearheading the spring event, and have already made some set-in-stone decrees. Iron fist and whatnot. 1500 points, confirmed. 95% chance of no allies allowed (it's good vs bad in the story, and allies fuck with alignment and open loopholes).
TheRhino

Postby tinfoil » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:22 pm

That Spring thing sounds very promising!
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby Hippie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:36 pm

Pics can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 919&type=3

For those that didn't make the trek.
Hippie

Postby Lucyth » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:19 am

tinfoil wrote:That Spring thing sounds very promising!

The more Todd talks about it, the more likely I am to go.
ryltar wrote:I would hate to disappoint your cock Ian.
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

Postby 92acclude » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:04 pm

Did the scoring breakdown ever get posted for this?

I never saw it...
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 110
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby TheRhino » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:53 pm

92acclude wrote:Did the scoring breakdown ever get posted for this?

I never saw it...

In all its sortable glory...
http://xrg.creativetwilight.com/?t_id=198
TheRhino

Postby Exokan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:22 pm

What about feedback? Id be interested in seeing what the consensus was.
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

Postby TheRhino » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 am

Exokan wrote:What about feedback? Id be interested in seeing what the consensus was.

You'd have to ask Steve (Hippie). The role of TO was sort of foisted off on him by default. In talking with him, the biggest complaint by far was abusive comp-skirting lists like Mechdar, Tiggy/Thunderfire/Tau, etc.
TheRhino

Previous

Board index Administratum Announcements & Events