The June Jerkoff: A Very Special DorkaMorka 40k Tournament

Hear the gospel of DorkaMorka announcements and sponsored events, along with other happenings in the area and community...

Re: The June Jerkoff: A Very Special DorkaMorka 40k Tourname

Postby 92acclude » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:20 pm

So, I'm going to start figuring out a 1500 pt list for Standish then...
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 63
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby Hippie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:24 pm

We are in discussion right now but I'm pretty sure it will go down in points. I think it'll end up 1650-1750 if I had to guess. One of the biggest requests from last Fall was more time in rounds which we did 2 hrs with 15 min setup IIRC. And the only new dex was CSM at that time.
Hippie

Postby Hippie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:47 pm

DAPatrick wrote:I've played 2,000 point games in 2 hours. You just need to decide what you want to do and bunker down and do it. There should really be no excuse for ony playing to turn 4 in a game if both of you know your codecii. One of the benefits that competative tournaments have over fluff based ones I guess. I would recommend playing in some of the more competative games in your area. 4 hour games of 40k (which it sounds like you would have needed) are no fun to play against.

I'm impressed. :roll:
Hippie

Postby SRM » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:23 pm

I finished all three of my games with my horde of Valhallans, but a lot of that came down to the fact that by the end of each game, at least one of the armies was cut down to nothing. At the end of Brian and I's game, I'm pretty sure there were about a dozen models per side. I will admit I was playing very quickly and wasn't bullshitting with my opponents as much as I'd like to, and on one occasion I forgot my movement phase entirely, but it was possible to do all three games in that time. I just felt pressured by time and was determined to get as much done as possible.

So yeah, 1500. That's a good level.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby quiestdeus » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 pm

In my experience 2.5 hours is enough for 1850 IF players have 15-20 minutes for deployment and setup... so you start to look at 3 hours per round, which really eats up the day.

Frankly, 1500 points in 2.5 hours... any and all timing concerns should go away. The alternative would be to allow for longer rounds, but to cut one of the games (i.e., only play 2 games rather than 3).

I would rather play 3 games, so 1500 sounds good to me. :D
quiestdeus

Postby Brutal Legend » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:42 am

"Less is More"

-Ronald McDonald
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby TheRhino » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:07 pm

I've found that one of the big factors in how long a game goes is the casualty rate. If you have two identical 1850 Space Marine armies facing off, your game is going to go long, because the casualty rate is so low. Those two armies throwing bolter dice at one another won't result in many casualties, but will have a lot of dice rolling. However, if one or both armies start causing an overlarge number of casualties, the number of dice rolled drops every turn, often sharply.
It's one of the reasons the games I play with my Marine Bikers tend to go to time. My army is durable, almost always having a save of some type, and taking smaller numbers of saveable wounds from a large number of dice than a normal Marine force. On my turns, I don't cause many casualties, meaning my opponent is rolling a consistent number of dice from turn to turn. My army wins by scalpel cuts and proper placement, not by killing off all your mans.
If a typical game is structured and assessed as a 120 minute game, Turn One might take 40 minutes, Two takes 30, Three takes 20, Four takes 10, and five takes 10 as well. Ten minutes were setup time. But if your first turn results in nearly no significant casualties, you might be adding ten minutes back to each turn, quickly going over time by the end.
The time isn't really eaten by book keeping, IMO. It's eaten by the model and unit counts. A lot of armies strive to force the enemy to kill every last model in a unit. Nids, Daemons, Chaos Marines, Space Marines of all flavors, etc. That last Marine from a squad might not take up a lot of shooting time, but he still takes up just as much assessment time, movement phase, and run moves. No one runs the fuck away anymore due to the way we build our armies, and that's what extends game time. Units on the board.
TheRhino

Previous

Board index Administratum Announcements & Events